Friday 26 June 2015

Swallows and Amazons Alan Titchmarsh and engineers

I must be getting past my youth or something like.

I commented a few days ago on Twitter about the fuss a BBC news presenter made apologising for  Alan Titchmarsh saying, bastard trenching, it being another term for double digging. Have you ever tried it.

Then today I see that the BBC is making a new version of Swallows and Amazons, supposedly they are renaming a girl originally called Titty as Tatty. Is one better or worse than the other please, what girl would want to be called Tatty.

In my tweet I pondered what the BBC would do with the lovely little plant named Bastard Toadflax, Thesium humifusum its latin name hardly trips off the tongue, would they expunge it from all flora. What hidden meaning would they find in that other little plant Sqinancywort.

Similarly being an engineer many years ago and having had to file file file one particular test piece as well as know all about grades of files, how would they deal with the Bastard File a file of the commercial grade of coarseness between coarse and second-cut.

Next of course we have to move onto the Tit family of birds, Spring/Autumn/ whenever Watch will never be shown before the watershed again.

Is it me or...........


 

No comments:

Post a Comment