Saturday 9 August 2014

Thorn Apple Devils Snare

That's two names for it or you could have Datura stramonium if you prefer.

What is it well surprise surprise its an invasive plant given half a chance and three of em have popped up in the middle of nowhere on the route of a bat survey I do annually.

Whats it look like,






Interesting plant aint it eh. I was wondering when I first got a glimpse what it was, it sort of reminded me of something else, then I saw the seed pods and apart from hhpphhmming and hhuumming had no idea.

So good old interweb put in spiky seed pods on non native plants and kerpow up it comes. Oh and yes its poisonous and should be treated with respect and kid gloves and its a member of the Solanaceae family which includes, Potato and Tomato which should give you a good idea of what the flowers look like when open.

As for the names well you can add two more;  Hell's Bells, Devil’s Trumpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment