Friday 8 August 2014

Family

A couple of weekends ago I met up with my brothers and their respective partners for a trip on the Wherry Albion, the reason one was celebrating their silver wedding not that it seems that long.

Albion is a lovely old wooden Wherry that can be hired for a party of 12 to sail for a day on part of the Norfolk Broads.





She is gorgeous, the trip is slow and you have a chance to sit and watch the world go by sharing time with family and friends, as a family we have done this twice now and I would go back tomorrow.


You can sprawl on deck, relax in the hold, stop off here and there and watch the wildlife.






Perhaps a nice male Marsh Harrier like this one or  a Four Banded Longhorn Beetle like this one we saw feeding on the flowers of Hemp Agrimony.





Got me to thinking about all sorts of things including what it must have been like for the crews of the Wherries, the Lighters, the Keels and the Essex Sailing Barges as well as the river Barges all those years ago. So to add to my dreams we even had a bit of real rain on the way back to help me with my imagining.





But it passed and clothes dry and anyway nothing dampens good times with those close to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment