Wednesday 17 November 2010

Still learning and Ceonothus

After more years than I care to remember working for other folk there is still much to learn about running your own business. I did go to a lot of the Business Direct courses and recommend them to anyone thinking about running a business.

The thing that got me recently is quoting for jobs, I usually charge by the hour. One of my regulars asked me to quote for a bigger job, I thought about it and looked at the job then gave a price. Thing is though its now obvious I should have put in a higher price for the amount of work and time it has taken.

Just goes to show we never stop learning and I dont mind admitting it. Note to self think a bit more and dont underestimate how long the job will take.

What was the job, clearing an area of mainly Ceonothus on a bank at the entrance to a small business park, that and a bit of crown raising on a small number of nearby trees. The Ceonothus plants are about fifteen years old and most were very overgrown but with epicormic growth on the main stems, some though had died whether of old age or what I dont know but I have worked on a few this year in the same states.

It was a good job to do though, kept me warm on these cold days and using some of my countryside skills breaking up scrub and getting in some exercise while working.

No comments:

Post a Comment