Monday 15 November 2010

a JR moment or three

Been a long time since I last posted and a lots happened.

Such as;

Did my Daubentons Bat Surveys for this year, the one at Stow cum Quy was very touching, there are a pair of Mute Swans near the site and the male was shot earlier this year, the female has persevered though and raised a number of cygnets to fledging point, very good to see that nature is more powerful than we are as a race. The police said they had DNA from the offender when the shooting happened but have not heard anymore about it.

Bat surveys went well reasonable numbers looking back over my figures for the last tenish years I have done them on the same two sites. Also did a couple of Nathusius Pipistrelle surveys at a place I know well, found them there last year and unless my hearing and mind have totally gone they are still using the site.

Changed my car for a newer version of the same make and model, I can work from it okay and use it for private use as well.

I have been lucky enough to get some wildlife work from an ecologist I first met over 20 years ago while working as a protected plant protection scheme warden. Been some interesting work one of the highlights being unearthing a mole on a site. Marvellous things and those front paws are so big, couldnt help think of Max Bygraves and that song, uuhhem "you need hands......."

And all the while we have life going on and cuts being made in all sorts of areas of public life. What concerns me a lot are the cuts in parks and green spaces whether in towns or the countryside and the hope that volunteers can pick up the slack or that someone else will run things instead of local councils or govt organisations. Guess what because of the cuts being made its going harder to for other groups to take these places on.

Enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment