Saturday 5 March 2016

opinions are onions with a pi right!





     

My local paper has been carrying a story about the way a footpath that runs through a Country Park in Ely has been managed recently. The lane called Springhead Lane or Lovers Lane has been opened up by a contractor working for the county council cutting back trees and shrubs and by cutting back bramble.

Some of the locals have been complaining bitterly to the local papers and getting quite a bit of coverage, one lady says she is horrified by what has happened down at Lover's Lane.

Its one of the reasons I went for a walk down there yesterday to see what outrageous damage has been caused partly because I have long held the view that the path was too shaded and might make users feel insecure. The picture below is a Cambridge News picture which shows part of the lane now.


         

Now far be it for me to tell anyone how to manage anything especially as I only managed parks for twenty years, but to my mind its great, even further towards Ely itself where the increase in light will lead to a lot of growth this year including from the cut tree and shrub stems and a safer feel to the path, see picture below also Cambridge News of that section, but then what do I know like I say.


I can remember a few years back a paper was published about public perceptions of the countryside, it looked at what made people feel they could use the countryside and what made them feel they couldn't. Overgrown paths and not being able to see a reasonable distance were high on the lists of not encouraging use for both women and men. So like I said earlier well done county council I think its great.

But then thats my opinion, others think differently. Opinions eh onions with pi in.



No comments:

Post a Comment