Friday 19 February 2016

Space time continuum distorted down the fen

So there I was going back home from working in a couple of gardens, I know I had said, I will go back home across the fen and have a late lunch sitting down Tubney Fen oft times a quiet oasis with just the breeze slipping through the reeds and the call of the birds for company, luxury.

I drove through Upware up and over the lodes dropped down to the field level and what was that, cars and farm vehicles all stopped and looking ahead, ahead to where one of Manchetts big recovery trucks all flashing lights was stopped at the rear of a red articulated lorry.

What the "stale Christmas cake " was going on I said to myself. Looking closer from a 200 yards away I was with other cars etc on my side of the blockage I could see the front end of the red lorry had gone partway off the road into the sticky and soft fen soil, its right black soil out there. Manchetts had got it out and back on the road, but, looking in front off and behind me I could see at least four vehicles both sides of the blockage, for that location a massive amount of held up traffic. I wont stress or even mention the silver car of idiots who sped past me before seeing the holdup and then turning round and speeding off again the other way, no I wont mention them.

Well with the recovery truck and the red lorry mobile albeit missing a mudguard moved out of the way the massive amount of accumulated traffic stated moving again. Never been held up so much down there. Trundled on across the fen until looking forward we all saw the next holdup a horse being ridden along , would the problems never stop, thankfully it pulled over giving me a chance to see a farmer having more drainage pipes put in a field down there.

And then I pulled over and long breath aahhhhhh. Lunch at Tubney Fen, reality restored all right with the world the space time continuum hiccuped and like a gravitational wave it settled back on the beach of peace.


Until that is the mob of argy bargy Coot started squabbling, the Little Grebe tittered, Gadwall and Wigeon called, well peace of a pleasurable sort as I sat there in the sunshine with my sandwiches and peppermint tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment