Sunday 19 May 2013

something less serious

Don't laugh at me too hard please.

So there I was in this bit of Oak woodland somewhere in North Norfolk a week or so ago, when as clear as a ringing thing, you know a bell I heard it, a bird call I cannot for the life of me identify, the bird was moving about in the tops of the trees as I was working away checking some equipment. It never came close enough or gave a clear enough view for me to see it, but it was there calling, was it the call an alarm call, a contact call or what!


Now my bird call ID of the birds we see in this country is not too bad and this was definitely something I have not heard before. In fact it didn't sound like anything british I have ever heard before. Finally before I got a chance to see it clearly it left the wood I was working in leaving me with that unending question, what was it?

The call sounded a bit like, and you will have to forgive my interpretation here; uuupoopuueeoo, nice and clear and loudish from the tops of the trees with a ringing quality almost sounding mediterranean or even a bit tropical. I thought of that nice ringing Golden Oriole call as something similar but not convinced it was one of those little jems. 


Do you know, have you got any ideas, is there something brilliantly tropical loose up there in deepest norfolk???

No comments:

Post a Comment