Friday 28 August 2015

where are the flies this year?????????????

So a serious question based on my observations this year.

Are there as many flies of all shapes and sizes about this year, I dont think so. Why well usually while gardening I get bothered by lots of them and need to knock the biting ones off now and then but this year, no.

Then theres the surveys I do for a particular species of bat every August, four walks alongside a river at night using a torch to find my way, that usually sees me keeping me mouth shut and wafting flies away from my eyes while lots of them are visible in the beam of the torch, this year well theres some but nowhere near as many nor as many of the bat I am looking for.

Does it mean anything? What do I know is its not a scientific number of flies survey but my own view based on observation on four evenings in the Cambridge area. Whatever its worrying if this is replicated across the country as a whole. You might say good no flies. But think on, no flies equals no bats and no birds, not sure I like the sound of that at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment