Thursday 15 January 2015

after some work a nice stop

After the strong winds last night today started bright and very still in comparison. Worked in a couple of gardens Ely way. Finished work at 2 than thought where to stop for a bit of a rest and some sandwiches with perhaps the chance of a nice bird or two.


Beet lagoons I thought so off I went with the wind getting up again, parked up had my sandwiches and looked at the ducks bobbing around on the water. Then I noticed a larger bird flying in from the south, hang on I says I know what you are. Sure enough a Marsh Harrier working over the reed beds wheeling about in the wind almost playing with the wind, spinning and tumbling and turning to move back across the reeds scattering the ducks when it got too close. Then it dropped after again working the wind onto something in the reed bed, I am thinking that's it then for now when another shape and another Marsh Harrier caught my eye. I stayed a bit longer before thinking I better be off, only driving a little way along the road before seeing yet another rundown fen farm barn.

The fens are full of them, barns that have seen good service but are now just not needed and so sit there falling apart overt time, which to me is a real shame, its part of our farming heritage and an older less intensive farm life that's going.

Finally wondered what the view might be like towards Ely across the road and saw this, a lovely view of the Cathedral, the winter colours and sun are superb.



No comments:

Post a Comment