Tuesday 25 February 2014

hhmmnn european workers an example to ponder on

So at a garden I work in there is a livein carer who is from an eastern european country. This lady, Carer A, works or should that be is available for 20 odd hours a day to care for the person she is there for, all there needs. The remaining few hours a day she can leave the house and oh yes mustn't forget that's for 7 days a week. What is her renumeration for this work, about £1300ish a month. I have a lot of time for this person given what she does for that amount.

Carer A has just had a weekish away so the company that employs her got in another lady of eastern european origin, Carer B, she flew in from her country especially for this cover period. Every day she was speaking to them asking if there would be more work when her cover was over, every day she was told we cannot promise anything.

I took Carer B to the railway station in Cambridge yesterday after her cover finished, I asked her what she is going to do next, she said I dont know I have no work, I am sleeping at a friends house tonight in London but then I dont know what I will do.

She came here looking for a better life than she has at home and I have to wonder why she was taken on and encouraged to come here if there was no guarantee of work, or am I too soft!


No comments:

Post a Comment