Friday 28 June 2013

the sound of a blackbirds beak snapping shut

Gardening as I do I get too see a lot of the birds and insects that live around us, as well as the occasional amphibian and mammal.

Working alone for the most part you tend to get more or less accepted as part of the gardens themselves, some birds in particular home in on you, Robin and Blackbird are two examples.

I was in a garden this week cutting back some Lilac that was overhanging a garden I was in. Cutting it up to get rid of it a Robin comes and sits half a metre away watching me and the Lilac before jumping down and snatching a small grub from just in front of me before going of to return soon after.

Later on I was working and a female blackbird comes along looking for worms, it must have been quiet as I distinctly heard her the two halves of her beak snap together around a small invertebrate before she looked at me watching her and flying off.

Small things but powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment